If there’s one thing that I believe played a great role to my conversion, it’s music. Thanks to my friend and roommate back in college, I was introduced to Christian songs and artists like Hillsong, Switchfoot, Casting Crowns and of course, Relient K. Whenever she’s in our room, she will start playing Christians songs and will sometimes explain the meaning of the songs to me. It was also from her that I learned to be careful with the kind of songs I’m listening to. I told her once that I’m not usually particular with the lyrics of the song, as long as the melody will make me feel happy, so she corrected me by telling me that I have to be careful with the songs I’m listening to because it can influence my way of thinking.
Since then, I learned to be mindful of both the lyrics and the melody before making any judgment whether I like a particular song or not. This mindset was eventually reinforced when I became a Christian, so I’ve decided to listen more to music with meaningful lyrics and melody and try to avoid listening to “senseless” music. What have I gain from that decision? It has helped me grow in my walk with Christ.
So now, I will share to you some of my Lifesong because whenever I’m feeling down, worried, in doubt or even happy, these songs never fail to minister to me:
1. I Am Nothing by Ginny Owens. Whenever I listen to this song, I am always reminded of the truth that “If I do not love, I am nothing.” It speaks of the biblical truth that everything we do, for God and for other people, should be motivated by love. Otherwise, when our works go through the testing in fire, it will burn up and thus will not count.
2. If You Want Me To by Ginny Owens. Just listen to the song and try to understand the lyrics and you’ll know why I like it. This song has also helped me calm down before, when my flight to Manila was so shaky that I started to get worried that our plane will crash. I just sang the line “I’m clinging to the promise you’re not through with me yet” and believed that I’ll come home safe because God is still not through with me.
3. Grace by Laura Story. I discovered this song last year. It reminds me of the truth that no matter how many times I fall, God will always be there to pick me up as long as I remain and abide in His love.
4. The Voice of Truth by Casting Crowns. This is actually my lifesong at the moment. Because of frustrations and disappointments in life, sometimes we forget that we are more than conquerors in Christ. Refuse to listen to the lies that the enemy is telling and believe in God’s word instead.
5. I Am by Ginny Owens. I consider this song as my “Personal Ministry Song”. It reminds me of the truth that God uses ordinary people to accomplish great things for Him, so I know He can use me too. 🙂
So there. How about you? what’s your life song?